Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Do I Know Me?


Ok, so I'll admit. It finally happened to me. I looked at myself in a photo and didn't realize it was me.

Can you find me?
Mind you, it was a group photo, and I was in the background. But, I had also been tagged. So, I really have no excuse. Especially to need to use the tag to find myself.

I was at a ski weekend retreat.  Two years ago, I didn't know how to ski and I wouldn't have dreamed I would ever even try it. Let alone ski through 12 inches of newly falling snow, snow fog, and ride an alpine roller coaster. I assumed skiing was a sport for the rich, the fit, or both. Now, I've skied double-black slopes and I own my own equipment and a frequent skier discount card (which greatly reduces the cost). It wasn't lost on me this weekend (especially as I sang and conducted a small group for Mass) that I literally would not have been there had it not been for all the changes in my life over the past two years. And I am so grateful for all of that.

Relaxing in the hot tub while watching the snow fall on Saturday night (yeehah!), a friend said, "Look at all you've done in the past year. And it's not an act. It's really you." Yes, it is really me. And it's been so much change so fast, that sometimes it's good to hear that come back from the outside. Especially from someone who has watched so much of the progress.

The first night of the retreat, I received a rather pointed question, "Since you're such an attractive woman and you have such a great personality, how come there is no mister in your life?" The compliment was not lost on me. For a moment, I thought through the answer and then honestly responded, "I gave a lot of my life to the Church. Then, I had to spend a lot of time learning to take care of myself and take care of some issues that I really didn't want to bring into a relationship." The weight was the visible sign of those things that were out of order on the inside. And I only started this journey after a lot of work on the core issues, which is what causes most people to rebound. The only way to make the change permanent, was to permanently change.

It's still not perfect, and the Lenten temptations to stress and be afraid are alive and well. But the progress is there to be seen, even in going to renew a yearly license today and seeing the difference in the photos year over year.

So, here's to new experiences at the start of a season of change. I wonder what other permanent changes it will bring ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

"You are an Iron Girl"

  There are a series of posts I've meant to write over the past year and a half that I just haven't been able to work on unti...