Monday, March 23, 2015

In the Midst of a Lifestyle Change ...



"So, when's the next one?" That's the question I got asked by the former coworker who dropped by work today when I told him the results of my latest triathlon. I came in 5th again, by less than 2 points. But the story of the hour was the swimming portion of the event.

The last time I blogged, I was very disappointed with the overall swim experience, where I completed 17 laps, and initially felt like it was a major setback until I found out that the pool was measured in meters instead of yards, and therefore was longer than what I was used to. This time, I emailed the race director in advance and found out that the pool would be metric. I wasn't overly happy about it, but I was determined to do the best I could, regardless.

This time, I focused very hard on staying in control while I was swimming, and particularly staying in control of my breathing. Instead of panicking after the first 200 meters and losing at least a lap's worth of time swimming with my head above the water or clinging to the side of the pool to catch my breath, I forced myself to be very regular with my stroke and not to sprint until I had finished at least 300 meters (12 laps). I ended with 20 laps. In metric pool. I was very happy.

I'm the one doing the dolphin impression on the right,
in the same lane as the woman who placed 4th.
My bike and my run were not quite as strong as in events past, but conquering the swim was a major accomplishment and a way of measuring significant progress.

Not all progress can be measured by numbers. I was in the break room preparing my lunch at work the other day. One of my newer coworkers commented on how everyone was eating greasy takeout that smelled really good except me. I said, "I don't eat that anymore, but, believe me, I want to." He asked, "Are you in the middle of a dietary change?" Before I could answer, another coworker piped up and said, "You have to understand--she's lost more than 100 pounds. She's not in the middle of a dietary change, she's in the midst of a lifestyle change." I guess consistency pays, and even gets noticed by the people I manage ... It was a really good conversation to be a part of.

The other "lifestyle change" moment I had was tonight, shopping for my Easter dress, but I think that will be time for a celebratory post later on.

So, my next stop athletically will be to put the same run and bike I had at the beginning of the year together with the swim I just did. I'll be working on that between now and the next one. Which, by the way, is April 26th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"You are an Iron Girl"

  There are a series of posts I've meant to write over the past year and a half that I just haven't been able to work on unti...